I don’t mind telling you that Squarespace is one of my favorite do-it-yourself website builders to date.
But after spending many hours inside the platform, I completely understand why Squarespace may not be for everyone and the reason you’re here looking for an alternative.
Below, I’ve created a list of just 4 alternatives for you to browse.
Yep, I know, there are other websites out there offering up to ten alternatives but to be honest, I believe that simply reeling off as many website builders that I can think of will just lead to paralysis by analysis rather than actually help you make an informed decision.
With that in mind, I’ve taken the liberty of sharing some of the main advantages and disadvantages of using that particular website builder over Squarespace so you can see why they made the list in the first place.
Shall we begin?
Squarespace Alternative #1 Wix
For those who want a more “out of the box” type website builder.
Unless you’re completely new to the world of website builders, I’d be willing to bet that you’ve heard of Wix.
Along with Squarespace, Wix is the other platform that I would happily recommend to a friend or family member who was looking to create a new website (and I have done on a few occasions).
Advantages of using Wix over Squarespace
- Choose from over 500 industry-specific templates.
- Shorter learning curve.
- More freedom to move text and images around on the page.
- A whole range of add-on features to add functionality to your site (both free and paid).
- Ability to customize the mobile version of your site.
Disadvantages of using Wix over Squarespace
- Wix’s templates don’t look quite as professional in comparison in my humble opinion.
- Not as many in-depth customizability options.
- If you start with Wix you’ll be stuck with it unless you’re willing to start over (Squarespace has an option to export a lot of your content to a platform such as WordPress).
Squarespace Alternative #2 – WordPress
For those who want more control.
WordPress is a little different to the other platforms mentioned on this page as technically, it’s a “content management system” rather than a website builder.
Some of the most popular websites in the world have been created using WordPress (including this one lol) but as with everything else, WordPress comes with its own set of pros and cons.
If it’s a simple what you see is what you get website builder you’re after, then WordPress may not be what you’re looking for but I wouldn’t feel happy unless I included it as, after all, it’s a very viable alternative to Squarespace.
Advantages of using WordPress
- WordPress is opensource and no single company can take your site away from you.
- Access to thousands of free and paid themes (designs templates)
- Create just about any type of website you want with the help of “Plugins” (add-ons that add functionality).
Disadvantages of using WordPress
- With Squarespace templates, what you see is what you get. WordPress templates require a lot more set-up in comparison.
- Plugins can be confusing and difficult to set-up.
- WordPress comes with the steepest learning curve of all platforms mentioned on this page.
- Hosting (the thing that powers your website) is not included as is with Squarespace. You’ll have to find your own hosting company.
Squarespace Alternative #3 – Weebly
A simpler way to create your website.
Weebly is often referred to as one of the simplest website builders on the market today. From my experience, the user interface is almost the mirror opposite to Squarespace.
That being said, ease of use usually tends to mean fewer options and in this case, it’s definitely true.
It’s not necessarily a bad thing depending on your requirements and Weebly could be just what you’re looking for.
Advantages of using Weebly
- Much more user-friendly than Squarespace. Should be able to create a site in half the time.
- App Center to add functionality like Wix.
- Ability to create a membership site.
- Free website option with minimal advertising.
Disadvantages of using Weebly
- Much less customizable than Squarespace.
- The quality of the templates doesn’t quite match up to Squarespace’s range.
- SSL security feature only available on the top tier eCommerce plan (the small green padlock icon that shows up in your visitors’ address bar assuring them they’re safe on your website).
Squarespace Alternative #4 – Shopify
For those who really want to sell online.
I like Squarespace eCommerce tools, they are well laid out and easy to follow. But if you intend on rivaling the likes of Amazon straight out of the gate, a dedicated eCommerce platform (rather than a generic website builder) may suit you better.
Advantages of using Shopify
- Shopify specializes in eCommerce rather being a more generic website builder like Squarespace.
- Shopify’s In-house experts can help you set up your online store.
- you’ll find a wide range of application that can be added to your site such as marketing, bookkeeping, and order fulfillment tools to name but a few (additional costs apply).
Disadvantages of using Shopify
- Shopify may be overkill if you only wish to sell a few products and Squarespace may be a simpler option in this case.
- Shopify is generally more expensive than Squarespace (Shopify’s plans start at $29 per month or $26.10 billed annually).
- Squarespace offers a higher level of do-it-yourself customization without knowing how to code or getting help.
Over To You
Well, we’ve reached the end and I sincerely hope that I’ve given you some food for thought.
My best advice is to test out one or two of the options above with a free trial and see if they better meet your needs than Squarespace.
If you’re still completely stuck, I’ve listed a few in-depth website builder reviews below featuring the platforms we’ve cover here in this article. These reviews will allow you to lift up the hood and dig a little deeper into the individual platforms.
- Wix website builder review
- Weebly website builder review
- WordPress pros and cons
- Wix vs Weebly vs Jimdo vs Squarespace
Alternatively, drop me a comment below and let me know what type of site that you’re trying to achieve and I’ll do my level best to steer you in the right direction